IMPROVING STUDENTS’ READING COMPREHENSION
THROUGH GROUP WORK
(A Classroom Action Research at Second Grade of Junior High School
in SMP Negeri 2 Ajibarang in Academic year 2011/2012)
By Taat Sayogo
TEACHER TRAINING AND EDUCATION FACULTY
MUHAMMADIYAH UNIVERSITY OF PURWOKERTO
First of all the writer would like to express great thankfulness to Allah SWT, who has given guidance, blessing and strength, physically and spiritually, so that she can complete and finish writing the thesis as a partial fulfillment of the requirements for the S. Pd. Degree of Teacher Training and Education Faculty of Muhammadiyah University of Purwokerto. The writer would like to express her deepest thank to:
1. Drs. Pudiyono, M.Hum as the first supervisor who has given much attention to me, so the writer could finish this thesis.
2. Rina Agustina, S.S, M.ApplLing, TESOL as the second supervisor who has guided the writer patiently.
3. Endang Kusrini, S.Pd. M.Hum Head of English Department of Muhammadiyah University of Purwokerto who has given agreement to conduct the research.
4. Drs. Ahmad, M.Pd, the Dean of Teacher Training and Education Faculty of Muhammadiyah University of Purwokerto who gave the writer permission to conduct the research.
5. The headmaster of SMP Negeri 1 Ajibarang, who has given permission to the writer to conduct this research.
7. The writer friends in English Department who always help the writer in finishing the thesis.
8. The students of VIII C in SMP Negeri 2 Ajibarang grade who give the participation in this research.
The writer thinks that this thesis is still far from being perfect. Therefore the writer would appreciate constructive criticism and suggestion, which would encourage her to further study.
Purwokerto, 05 Desember 2013
TABLE OF CONTENTS
CHAPTER II LITERATURE REVIEW 2.1The Nature of Reading ... 7
2.1.1 The Definition of Reading ... 7
2.1.2 Principle for Teaching Reading ... 8
2.1.3 Reading Activities ... 12
2.2Reading Comprehension ... 15
2.2.1 Definition of Reading Comprehension ... 15
2.2.2 Strategies of Reading Comprehension ... 15
2.3Group Work ... 18
2.4Organizing of Group Work in Classroom ... 19
2.4.1 Creating Group ... 19
2.4.2 Procedure of Group Work Activities ... 21
2.4.3 Problems Occurred During Group Work Activities ... 23
2.5.2 The Disadvantages of Group Work ... 25
2.6Research Gaps ... 26
2.7Hypothesis ... 26
CHAPTER III RESEARCH METHOD 3.1Method of Research ... 27
3.2Setting of Research ... 28
3.2.1 Subject of Research ... 28
3.2.2 The Period of Research ... 28
3.3Research Design ... 29
3.4Classroom Action Research Procedure ... 30
3.5Instrument of Collecting The Data ... 33
3.6Testing of Reading Comprehension ... 40
3.7Technique of Analyzing the Data ... 44
3.8Success Indicator ... 47
CHAPTER IV RESULT AND DISCUSSION 4.1Result of Research ... 48
CHAPTER V CONCLUSION, PEDAGOGICAL IMPLICATION OF THE RESEARCH AND FUTURE DIRECTION 5.1Conclusion ... 89
5.2Pedagogical ... 91
5.3Limitations ofthe Research and Future Direction ... 91
REFERENCES ... 92
LIST OF TABLES
Table 3.1 The Time of The Schedule ... 28
Table 3.2The Teacher’s Observation Sheet ... 34
Table 3.3 The Students’ Observation List ... 35
Table 3.4 The Students questionnaire ... 37
Table 3.5The interview of students respond ... 39
Table 4.1 The Observation Result of students’ activity in Cycle 1 ... 53
Table4.2 Teacher Observation Result in Cycle 1 ... 54
Table 4.3 The Observation Result of Students’ Activity in Cycle 2 ... 63
Table 4.4 Teacher Observation Result in Cycle 2 ... 65
Table 4.5 The Results of Students’ Observation ... 70
Table 4.6 The Results of Questionnaire ... 72
LIST OF FIGURE
Figure 3.1 Kemmis and Mc Taggart Classroom Action Research ... 30
Figure 3.2 The Schema of Analyzing the Qualitative Data ... 45
Figure 4.1 The Students’ Improvement of Reading Test in Cycle 1 ... 58
Figure 4.2 The Students’ Improvement of Reading Test in Cycle 2 ... 67
Figure 4.3 Triangulation Data ... 69
LIST OF APPENDICES
1.List of Students’ Name
2. Students’ Reading Test Result in Cycle 1 3. Students’ Reading Test Result in Cycle 2
4. The Improvement of Students’ Reading Comprehension in Cycle 1 and Cycle 2
5. The Improvement of Students’ Activity in 2 Cycles 6. Students’ Observation List
7. Result Teacher’s Activities 8. Result of Students’ Questionnaire
1. The Students’ Reading Test Results in Cycle 1 2. The Students’ Reading Test Results in Cycle 2
3. The Improvement of Students’ Reading Comprehension in Cycle 1 and Cycle 2
4. The Improvement of Students’ Activity in 2 Cycles 5. The Students’ Observation List
1. The Results of Students’ Interview 2. The Field Notes
IMPROVING STUDENTS’ READING COMPREHENSION THROUGH GROUP WORK
(A Classroom Action Research at Second Grade of Junior High School in SMP Negeri 2 Ajibarang in Academic year 2011/2012)
By: Taat Sayogo 0801050044
Key words: reading comprehension, Group Work, and classroom action research.
This study is aimed to improve students’ reading comprehension through Group Work. It used classroom action research (CAR), which was conducted at VIII C grade of SMP Negeri2Ajibarang in Academic Year 2011/2012 as the subject of this study. The population of the class was 31 students. It was done in May 2012.
The researcher did collaboration with the English teacher in the class. The CAR was carried out based on Kemmis design. The researcher took two cycles with 2 actions in each cycle. Each cycle consisted of planning, acting, observing, reflecting and evaluating. The researcher applied both qualitative data and quantitative data. The quantitative data were taken from reading test. The qualitative data were taken from, observation result of teacher’s activity, observation result of students’ activity, questionnaire, interview field notes, and documentation.